Development of mRNA Based Vaccines Has Demonstrated the Effectiveness and Versatility
At Market.us Scoop, we strive to bring you the most accurate and up-to-date information by utilizing a variety of resources, including paid and free sources, primary research, and phone interviews. Our data is available to the public free of charge, and we encourage you to use it to inform your personal or business decisions. If you choose to republish our data on your own website, we simply ask that you provide a proper citation or link back to the respective page on Market.us Scoop. We appreciate your support and look forward to continuing to provide valuable insights for our audience.
“According to Market.us, in 2021, the revenue of the mRNA market was USD 50 billion and it is expected that the revenue will decrease to USD 23 billion by 2035.”
Table of Contents
- The Pfizer- BioNTech vaccine, BNT162b2 Statistics
- Common Side Effects
- The Moderna vaccine, mRNA-1273 Vaccine Statistics
- Leading Products by Sales Worldwide in 2022 Statistics
- mRNA Vaccines Stats- By Country
- Share of Canadian Population by COVID Vaccination Status
- Leading mRNA Biotech companies as of March 2023
The Pfizer- BioNTech vaccine, BNT162b2 Statistics
Pfizer- BioNTech vaccine, BNT162b2 uses mRNA to create the receptor binding domain of the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2. According to mRNA statistics Clinical trials involving tens of thousands of participants have shown that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is highly effective in preventing symptomatic COVID-19. It has demonstrated efficacy rates of around 95% in preventing COVID-19 infection in individuals without prior exposure to the virus.
- The efficiency of Pfizer- BioNTech vaccine, BNT162b2 vaccine remains consistently above 70% in both the age group 6 to 23 months and ages 6 months to 4 years.
- The vaccine was 95% effective in protecting trial participants from COVID-19 for those 16 years and older.
- The vaccine was 100% effective for those 12 to 15 years old.
- 90.7% effective for those 5 to 11 years old.
Common Side Effects
No serious adverse events were observed in the phase 3 clinical trial for the Pfizer- BioNTech vaccine, BNT162b2. The mild local side effects are observed such as heat, pain, redness, and swelling. The other systemic side effects including fatigue, fever, headache, myalgia, and arthralgia occur more frequently with the vaccine than with placebo, with most occurring within 1 to 2 days following vaccination.
- The most common reaction with the vaccine was pain at the injection site within one week of vaccination.
- The majority of common reactions are seen in individuals aged 26 years and above.
- Less than 1% of participants reported severe pain and it was most common in individuals aged 55 years and above.
- In the trials, the younger individuals aged 16 to 55 years reported systemic events.
- Most of the systemic reactions are seen in the second dose of COVID-19 as compared to the first dose.
- The incidence of systemic reactions was less than 1% in the first vaccine and less than 2% in the second vaccine.
- About 3.8% of individuals reported fatigue.
- 2% of individuals reported headaches.
- Only 0.2% of vaccine receivers and 0.1% of placebo recipients reported fever up to 40 °C in the first dose of vaccine.
- About 0.8% of vaccine recipients and 0.1% of placebo recipients reported fever up to 40 °C in the second dose of vaccine.
- Adverse events were more commonly reported among vaccine recipients (27 %) compared to the placebo group (12 %).
Side effects and adverse reactions to mRNA vaccines against SARS-CoV-2
|Common side effects||Major adverse reactions||Unverified complications|
|Heat, pain, swelling and erythema at the injection site||Anaphylaxis/anaphylactic shock||Infertility|
|Fever & chills||Bell’s palsy||Premature childbirth|
The Moderna vaccine, mRNA-1273 Vaccine Statistics
Moderna vaccine, mRNA-1273 uses mRNA to create the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein stabilized in its perfusion conformation. Clinical trials involving tens of thousands of participants have shown that the Moderna vaccine is highly effective in preventing symptomatic COVID-19. It has demonstrated efficacy rates of around 94-95% in preventing COVID-19 infection in individuals without prior exposure to the virus.
The COVID-19 vaccine mRNA-1273 later brands named Spikevax, was the company’s first product approved by the Federal Drug Administration. Its massive use is seen in Western countries. Spikevax was among the world’s second bestselling pharmaceutical products in 2022, generating over USD 21 billion in revenues.
- The efficacy of the vaccine against COVID-19 was 36.8% among 2 to 5-year-olds.
- The efficacy of the vaccine among adults aged 6 to 23 months was 50.6% at the time when the omicron variant was the predominant circulating variant.
Common Side Effects
- Similar to the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, the Moderna vaccine can have side effects, although the majority of them are mild and temporary.
- Common side effects reported with the Moderna vaccine include pain or swelling at the injection site, fatigue, headache, muscle pain, chills, fever, and nausea. These side effects typically resolve within a few days.
Serious Adverse Events
- Serious adverse events associated with the Moderna vaccine are rare but they can occur. In rare instances, severe allergic reactions and anaphylaxis have been reported. However, the overall occurrence of anaphylaxis after receiving the Moderna vaccine is extremely low.
Leading Products by Sales Worldwide in 2022 Statistics
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, the COVID-19 vaccine Comirnaty was top top-performing pharmaceutical product, generating a revenue of USD 40.8 billion.
- The Spikevax which is the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine was the second largest selling pharmaceutical product which generated revenue of USD 21.8 billion in 2022.
- Humira, Keytruda, and Paxlovid are the other most-selling pharmaceutical products worldwide in 2022.
mRNA Vaccines Stats- By Country
- The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine received emergency use authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on December 11, 2020, for individuals aged 16 and older.
- Later, it was expanded to include individuals aged 12 to 15. The Moderna vaccine also received EUA from the FDA on December 18, 2020, for individuals aged 18 and older. Both vaccines require two doses administered several weeks apart.
- In Canada, the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was the first mRNA vaccine authorized for emergency use. It received regulatory approval from Health Canada on December 9, 2020, for individuals aged 16 and older.
- Subsequently, Health Canada granted authorization for individuals aged 12 to 15 to receive the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.
- The Moderna vaccine also received regulatory approval from Health Canada on December 23, 2020, for individuals aged 18 and older.
- About 83.4% of the Canadian population had received at least one COVID-19 vaccination dose.
- 80.7% of the population in Canada received primary series COVID-19 vaccines as of March 26, 2023.
- Only 19% of the population in Canada received booster doses in the last 6 months.
Leading mRNA Biotech companies as of March 2023
As of March 2023, Moderna, BioNTech, CureVac, and Arcturus Therapeutics were the leading mRNA biotech companies across the globe.
- The mRNA specialist Moderna had a market capitalization of around USD 54.89 billion as of March 9, 2023.
- BioNTech was the second leading mRNA company with a market capitalization of USD 31.27 billion as of March 2023.
- As of March 2023, CureVac and Arcturus Therapeutics have a market capitalization of USD 1.62 billion and USD 0.43 billion respectively.
He has been helping in business of varied scales, with key strategic decisions. He is a specialist in healthcare, medical devices, and life-science, and has accurately predicted the trends in the market. Anurag is a fervent traveller, and is passionate in exploring untouched places and locations. In his free time, he loves to introspect and plan ahead.
Latest from Author
- End-of-life care Is a Profound and Essential Aspect of Medical Practice
- Diet and Nutrition Apps Has Revolutionized Track their Weight
- Chagas Disease Continues to Pose a Significant Public Health Challenge
- Spa Industry Has Driven by The Increasing Demand for Health, Wellness, And Relaxation Services
- Medical Tourism Has Emerged as A Significant Border to Seek Medical Treatment