Top 10 Pharmacy Companies | Developing Medical Industry
At Market.us Scoop, we strive to bring you the most accurate and up-to-date information by utilizing a variety of resources, including paid and free sources, primary research, and phone interviews. Our data is available to the public free of charge, and we encourage you to use it to inform your personal or business decisions. If you choose to republish our data on your own website, we simply ask that you provide a proper citation or link back to the respective page on Market.us Scoop. We appreciate your support and look forward to continuing to provide valuable insights for our audience.
Table of Contents
Pharmacy Market Overview
The pharmacy sector is a dynamic and essential component of the healthcare industry. It encompasses a broad range of products and services related to medications, which are fundamental for individuals’ and communities’ well-being. Pharmacies serve as crucial establishments where individuals can access prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, and valuable healthcare guidance.
They play a pivotal role in ensuring that patients receive the appropriate medications, correct dosages, and essential information for their health. Furthermore, the pharmacy sector is constantly in flux, driven by advancements in medical research, evolving healthcare requirements, and regulation updates. This perpetual transformation underscores the pharmacy market’s intricate yet indispensable role within the healthcare system, directly influencing people’s health and overall quality of life.
Major factors propelling the global pharmacy market are the growing demand for healthcare and technological advancements. The increasing necessity for healthcare services, largely due to factors like an aging population and the prevalence of chronic illnesses, is a significant driver behind the expansion of the pharmacy market. There’s an ever-increasing need for people to access medications and healthcare guidance. Furthermore, technology is revolutionizing how pharmacies function.
The introduction of automation, digital health records, and online prescription services is enhancing both efficiency and convenience for patients. These influential factors, among others, are molding the global pharmacy market, fueling its growth and adaptation to meet the escalating healthcare requirements of our world today.
The projected growth of the global pharmacy market indicates an increase in value from approximately USD 1,108 billion in 2022 to an estimated USD 1,750 billion by 2032. This growth is expected to occur at an annual rate of 4.8% between 2022 and 2032.
Pharmacy Market: Top Key Players
|Key Management||Albert Bourla (CEO)|
|Revenue (US$ Bn)||$100.3 billion(2022)|
Founded in 1849 by cousins Charles Pfizer and Charles Erhart, Pfizer Inc. stands as a prominent American multinational pharmaceutical corporation, with its headquarters situated in New York City. With a history of over 170 years, Pfizer has grown into one of the foremost names in the global pharmaceutical and biotechnology sectors. It has gained renown for its unwavering commitment to advancing healthcare through pioneering medicines and vaccines.
Pfizer boasts a comprehensive portfolio that covers a broad spectrum of therapeutic areas, including cardiovascular health, oncology, immunology, and the treatment of rare diseases. Throughout its existence, the company has consistently been a leader in scientific research, striving to enhance human health and overall well-being. Pfizer’s groundbreaking achievements, such as the development of transformative medications like penicillin and Viagra, have left an indelible mark on the world of healthcare, firmly establishing it as a trailblazer within the pharmaceutical industry.
Pfizer Inc. maintains a strong foothold in North America, particularly in the United States, where its headquarters are in New York City. Beyond North America, Pfizer has a significant presence in Europe, with key locations in the United Kingdom, Germany, France, and several other European countries.
The company’s reach extends to the Asia-Pacific region, where it has established a notable presence in countries like China, Japan, and India. Additionally, Pfizer has a growing footprint in Latin America and the Middle East, contributing to its status as a truly global pharmaceutical powerhouse.
- July 2023: Pfizer and Flagship Pioneering unveiled a collaboration to allocate $100 million to research and develop as many as ten prospective medications. These drugs will target a range of medical fields, encompassing internal medicine, oncology, infectious diseases, and immunology.
- March 2023: Pfizer disclosed its commitment to a definitive merger agreement with Seagen Inc., involving an approximate investment of $43 billion, with the shared goal of combating cancer.
|Key Management||Severin Schwan (Chairman)|
|Revenue (US$ Bn)||$ 71.86 billion (2022)|
|Headcount||~ 103,613 (2022)|
About Roche Holding
Roche Holding AG, or Roche, is a Swiss multinational company in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology sector. It was founded back in 1896 by Fritz Hoffmann-La Roche. Situated in Basel, Switzerland, Roche boasts a history spanning over a century within the pharmaceutical field. It has become a global leader, recognized for its commitment to pioneering healthcare solutions.
Roche’s extensive offerings cover various medical areas, including oncology, immunology, neuroscience, and infectious diseases. Throughout its existence, the company has maintained a strong presence in scientific research, continuously striving to enhance patient care and well-being. Roche’s notable innovations, including groundbreaking cancer treatments, have left a lasting mark on the healthcare industry, cementing its role as a trailblazer in pharmaceuticals and biotechnology.
Roche Holding AG, with its headquarters situated in Basel, Switzerland, serves as the central hub for its extensive global activities. The company has firmly established itself in North America, with key offices and facilities across the United States and Canada. Within Europe, Roche maintains significant operational bases in countries that include Germany, France, the United Kingdom, and its home country, Switzerland.
The Asia-Pacific region plays a pivotal role in Roche’s worldwide presence, with notable engagements in nations such as Japan, China, and India. Beyond this, Roche extends its reach into Latin America and the Middle East, solidifying its position as a genuinely global pharmaceutical and biotechnology leader.
- September 2022: Roche made a significant move by agreeing to acquire the U.S. biopharmaceutical company Good Therapeutics. As part of the deal, Roche will make an initial cash payment of $250 million.
|Key Management||Joaquin Duato (Chairman & CEO)|
|Revenue (US$ Bn)||$94.94 billion (2022)|
|Headcount||~ 130,000 (2022)|
About Johnson & Johnson
Established in 1886 by Robert Wood Johnson, James Wood Johnson, and Edward Mead Johnson, Johnson & Johnson is a highly respected American multinational corporation headquartered in New Brunswick, New Jersey. With a legacy spanning over a century, the company operates within the healthcare and pharmaceutical sectors. It is widely recognized for its extensive range of products, including pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and consumer health goods.
This comprehensive product portfolio enables Johnson & Johnson to play a pivotal role in advancing healthcare and enhancing the well-being of individuals worldwide. Throughout its long and storied history, the company has consistently emphasized innovation, research, and responsible business practices, firmly establishing itself as a leading and reputable entity in the healthcare industry.
Johnson & Johnson is headquartered in New Brunswick, New Jersey, within the United States, and it has a strong presence in North America. The company’s operations extend across Europe, with significant activities in countries such as Germany, the United Kingdom, and Switzerland. In the Asia-Pacific region, Johnson & Johnson maintains a notable presence in nations like Japan, China, and India. Additionally, the company is steadily expanding its influence in Latin America and the Middle East, solidifying its position as a genuinely global healthcare corporation with a broad international reach.
- December 2022: Johnson & Johnson successfully finalized its acquisition of Abiomed, a prominent provider of heart recovery solutions. This strategic move was intended to broaden Johnson & Johnson’s presence in the rapidly growing cardiovascular sector and enhance its global Biosense Webster electrophysiology business with heart recovery solutions.
- November 2021: Johnson & Johnson disclosed its intention to split its Consumer Health business into a new publicly traded company. This separation lets both entities focus on specific business strategies and boost their growth efforts.
|Key Management||Vasant Narasimhan (CEO)|
|Revenue (US$ Bn)||$50.545 billion (2022)|
|Headcount||~ 101,703 (2022)|
Novartis AG, established in 1996, is a prominent Swiss multinational company in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology sectors. It is headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, and was created by merging two well-respected pharmaceutical firms, Ciba-Geigy and Sandoz. With a history spanning more than two decades, Novartis has risen to a leading position in the global healthcare and pharmaceutical industry.
The company’s extensive portfolio covers various therapeutic areas, including pharmaceuticals, generics, eye care, and biosimilars. Novartis is deeply committed to discovering, developing, and delivering innovative medicines with a mission to enhance the health and well-being of individuals worldwide. Its steadfast dedication to scientific research, pioneering breakthroughs, and responsible business practices has established its reputation as a trusted and influential presence in the healthcare sector.
Novartis AG, headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, has a global presence. It operates prominently in North America, notably in the United States and Canada, as well as in key European countries like Germany, France, the United Kingdom, and Switzerland. In the Asia-Pacific region, it has a significant presence in nations such as Japan, China, and India. Novartis also extends its reach into Latin America and the Middle East.
- June 2023: Novartis revealed its plan to acquire Chinook Therapeutics for an upfront payment of $3.2 billion, which equates to $40 per share. This strategic move aims to strengthen Novartis’ innovative medicines strategy and its renal pipeline.
- January 2020: Novartis successfully concluded its acquisition of The Medicines Company, which brought inclisiran, an investigational cholesterol-lowering therapy that is potentially a first-in-class treatment, into its portfolio.
|Key Management||Robert M. Davis(Executive Chairman, President and CEO)|
|Revenue (US$ Bn)||$42.84 billion (2022)|
|Headcount||~ 69,000 (2022)|
Merck & Co., Inc., often called Merck, was established in the United States by George Merck in 1891. With a history spanning well over a century, Merck has evolved into a renowned multinational pharmaceutical company headquartered in Kenilworth, New Jersey. It has emerged as a significant player in the healthcare and pharmaceutical sector, known for its unwavering commitment to advancing scientific knowledge and creating state-of-the-art medications and vaccines.
Merck’s broad portfolio covers various medical fields, including oncology, vaccines, infectious diseases, and diabetes. Over its extensive journey, Merck has made noteworthy contributions to global health, particularly in combatting diseases like smallpox and river blindness. This legacy of scientific achievement has firmly established Merck as a reputable and influential name in the pharmaceutical industry, marked by its steadfast dedication to improving the well-being of people worldwide.
Merck & Co., Inc., headquartered in Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA, is prominent in North America. Across the Atlantic in Europe, the company maintains substantial operations in countries including Germany, France, and the United Kingdom. Its presence extends to the Asia-Pacific region, with significant engagements in nations like Japan and China. Additionally, Merck is steadily expanding its influence in Latin America and the Middle East.
- November 2022: Merck expanded its hematology portfolio by acquiring Imago BioSciences, a company dedicated to developing therapies for myeloproliferative neoplasms.
- November 2021: Merck successfully concluded its acquisition of Acceleron Pharma, a company with expertise in cardiovascular research. This move aims to advance Merck’s cardiovascular portfolio and pipeline.
|Key Management||Jonathan Symonds (Chairperson)|
|Revenue (US$ Bn)||31.6 billion (2022)|
|Headcount||~ 70,000 (2022)|
GSK, officially known as GlaxoSmithKline plc, emerged in 2000 from the merger of Glaxo Wellcome and SmithKline Beecham. This London-based multinational pharmaceutical and healthcare corporation has over two decades of history. GSK is a significant player in the global healthcare and pharmaceutical sector, celebrated for its dedication to enhancing human health and well-being.
The company maintains a diverse portfolio encompassing various therapeutic areas, including pharmaceuticals, vaccines, consumer healthcare products, and cutting-edge medicines. Over the years, GSK has consistently led scientific research, relentlessly pursuing the development of innovative treatments and healthcare solutions.
GlaxoSmithKline plc (GSK) has a significant global presence, with operations extending across numerous countries and regions worldwide. While the company’s headquarters are in London, United Kingdom, it maintains substantial operations in North America, particularly in the United States.
In Europe, GSK has a strong presence in countries such as Germany, France, and the United Kingdom. The company also extends its reach into the Asia-Pacific region, with notable engagements in nations like Japan and China. Furthermore, GSK has a growing influence in Latin America and the Middle East.
- June 2023: GSK successfully concluded its acquisition of Bellus Health, a late-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on improving the well-being of patients with refractory chronic cough. The acquisition was finalized for a cash payment of US$14.75 per share of common stock, marking an estimated total equity value of approximately US$2.0 billion.
- July 2022: GSK successfully finalized its purchase of Sierra Oncology, a biopharmaceutical firm based in California. The acquisition was completed for $55 per share in cash, reflecting an estimated total equity value of around $1.9 billion.
|Key Management||Serge Weinberg (Chairman)|
|Revenue (US$ Bn)||€46.13 billion (2022)|
|Headcount||~ 91,573 (2022)|
Sanofi S.A., established in 1973, is a distinguished French multinational pharmaceutical corporation. Founded by brothers Étienne and Henri Sanofi, the company spans nearly five decades and is headquartered in Paris, France. Sanofi is a prominent figure in the global healthcare and pharmaceutical industry, renowned for its unwavering commitment to advancing human health and well-being.
The company boasts a diverse portfolio encompassing a wide spectrum of therapeutic areas, including pharmaceuticals, vaccines, rare diseases, and consumer healthcare products. Over the years, Sanofi has been at the forefront of scientific research, consistently striving to develop innovative treatments and healthcare solutions.
Sanofi S.A., based in Paris, France, boasts a robust global footprint. It is prominent in North America, with a significant presence in the United States and Canada. In Europe, Sanofi conducts substantial operations across countries, including Germany, France, and the United Kingdom. The company’s influence extends into the Asia-Pacific region, with notable engagements in nations like Japan and China. Additionally, Sanofi is steadily expanding its impact in Latin America and the Middle East.
- September 2023: Sanofi acquired Qunol, a leading U.S. health and wellness brand, to expand its consumer healthcare business and create value.
- April 2023: Sanofi successfully finalized its purchase of Provention Bio, a biopharmaceutical firm dedicated to developing treatments for immune-mediated diseases.
|Key Management||Leif Johansson (Chairman)|
|Revenue (US$ Bn)||$44.351 billion (2022)|
|Headcount||~ 83,500 (2022)|
AstraZeneca PLC, founded in 1999, is a prominent multinational pharmaceutical and biotechnology corporation born from the merger of Astra AB and Zeneca Group PLC. Headquartered in Cambridge, United Kingdom, the company boasts a history spanning more than two decades.
AstraZeneca holds a significant position in the global healthcare and pharmaceutical industry, renowned for its unwavering dedication to advancing medical science and improving global health. The company’s comprehensive portfolio covers various therapeutic domains, including oncology, respiratory, cardiovascular, and infectious diseases. AstraZeneca has consistently prioritized pioneering research and innovation, persistently working towards developing cutting-edge medicines and healthcare solutions.
AstraZeneca, based in Cambridge, UK, has a notable presence in North America, especially in the United States. In Europe, it operates significantly in Sweden, the U.K., and Germany. The company’s reach extends to the Asia-Pacific region, including Japan and China, and it is also expanding its influence in Latin America and the Middle East.
- July 2023: AstraZeneca, in partnership with its subsidiary Alexion, forged a gene therapy collaboration with Pfizer to obtain a collection of preclinical rare disease gene therapies, demonstrating their dedication to advancing next-generation genomic treatments.
- January 2023: AstraZeneca ventured into advancing next-generation T-cell receptor therapies (TCR-Ts) by acquiring Neogene Therapeutics, a global clinical-stage biotechnology company.
|Key Management||David A. Ricks (Chair, President, & CEO)|
|Revenue (US$ Bn)||$28.54 billion (2022)|
|Headcount||~ 39,000 (2022)|
About Eli Lilly and Company
Eli Lilly and Company, founded in 1876 by Colonel Eli Lilly in Indianapolis, Indiana, is a well-established American pharmaceutical corporation with a history spanning over 150 years. Based in Indianapolis, it has evolved into a prominent global presence in the healthcare and pharmaceutical sectors.
Eli Lilly and Company are widely respected for their unwavering dedication to scientific innovation and the creation of cutting-edge medications. Their extensive portfolio covers various therapeutic areas, including diabetes, oncology, neuroscience, and immunology. Over the years, the company has consistently led scientific research and is continuously committed to enhancing human health and well-being.
Eli Lilly and Company, an American pharmaceutical firm based in Indianapolis, Indiana, maintains a presence in 18 countries with its headquarters. Their products are distributed in roughly 125 nations worldwide.
- August 2023: Eli Lilly and Company successfully finalized its acquisition of DICE Therapeutics, a biopharmaceutical enterprise utilizing its proprietary DELSCAPE technology platform to develop innovative oral treatments in immunology.
- June 2023: Eli Lilly and Company, in collaboration with Pfizer, engaged in a gene therapy arrangement to procure a collection of preclinical gene therapies for rare diseases, underscoring their dedication to advancing next-generation genomic treatments.
|Key Management||Richard A. Gonzalez (Chairman and CEO)|
|Revenue (US$ Bn)||$58.05 billion (2022)|
|Headcount||~ 50,000 (2023)|
AbbVie Inc., established in 2013 following its separation from Abbott Laboratories, is a prominent pharmaceutical company based in North Chicago, Illinois. Despite its recent inception, AbbVie has swiftly risen as a significant player in the global healthcare and pharmaceutical field. The company is well-regarded for its unwavering commitment to addressing complex healthcare challenges and enhancing patient well-being.
AbbVie offers a wide-ranging portfolio covering various medical areas, such as immunology, oncology, neurology, and gastroenterology, among others. In a relatively short period, AbbVie has showcased its dedication to scientific innovation, extensive research endeavors, and ethical business practices, cementing its reputation as a respected and influential presence in the pharmaceutical industry.
AbbVie Inc. has a global presence with operations spanning multiple countries and regions worldwide. While its headquarters are in North Chicago, Illinois, the company maintains a significant international footprint, with key offices and facilities in North America, Europe, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East.
- January 2023: AbbVie Inc. revealed a partnership with Anima Biotech to explore and develop mRNA biology modulators targeting oncology and immunology objectives.
- January 2023: AbbVie Inc. unveiled a strategic partnership with Immunome to identify multiple new targets in the field of oncology.
He has been helping in business of varied scales, with key strategic decisions. He is a specialist in healthcare, medical devices, and life-science, and has accurately predicted the trends in the market. Anurag is a fervent traveller, and is passionate in exploring untouched places and locations. In his free time, he loves to introspect and plan ahead.
Latest from Author
- End-of-life care Is a Profound and Essential Aspect of Medical Practice
- Diet and Nutrition Apps Has Revolutionized Track their Weight
- Chagas Disease Continues to Pose a Significant Public Health Challenge
- Spa Industry Has Driven by The Increasing Demand for Health, Wellness, And Relaxation Services
- Medical Tourism Has Emerged as A Significant Border to Seek Medical Treatment